And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. Colossians 3:15-17
Today I just want to be thankful.
I feel like lately there have been a lot of heavy posts of Wednesdays. Ones about the world hating Christians, about giving our grief over to God, etc. So much to think about. But today, I want to think about all that God has blessed us with. There is so much. I know the list could go on forever. I’m going to try to list just 10 reasons I am thanking God today.
1) For who He is. This may sound like a no-brainer, but I am seriously thankful for who God is. Thankful for His sovereignty, His grace & mercy, the promises He renews each day. Thankful He loved me enough to send His o.n.l.y. son, Jesus, to die in my place as atonement for my sins. Really God could have His own list, but these are just some highlights.
2) My life. I lead such a blessed life. The Lord has provided for my daily needs in abundance. He has seen to it that I have wonderful, God-fearing friends who walk the journey of life with me. He provides opportunities for enjoyment, entertainment, and refreshing.
3) My husband. Oh so very thankful. He’s the best, he really is. I’m not easy to live with. I have mood swings that would put any roller coaster to shame. I’m messy, demanding, and uncoordinated. Yet he takes such good care of me. Loves me and puts up with all this.
4) My home. Yes I make jokes about it being in the hood (which it is.) And also jokes about how outdated it is (which is also true.) However it’s a really cute little place, I love how big our living room is, and it’s been home for the first four years of our marriage. So many hilarious and dear memories are held inside the walls of our home.
5) My family. These people are great. All of them. Both my blood relatives, and the sweet family I married into. And godly, both my lover’s family and my own. There aren’t enough words to express the gratitude I have towards the Lord for blessing me with this group of people.
6) I am thankful for my body. Which sounds totally conceited, I realize. I don’t mean it that way. I am genuinely thankful for the way the Lord made me. For example, I’m a little chunky in the thighs. Which sometimes makes me self-conscious, but my husband can’t get enough of what he calls my “meaty legs.” Works for me. Also I’m healthy, with no chronic illness or pain, and able to be active in activities like the Warrior Dash.
7) My job. Since the day I started working here I’ve always said my worst day here is still better than my best day at my previous job. The Lord was totally looking out for both me and my lover when He provided this place of employment. I get the opportunity to be surrounded by godly men and women from the moment I walk in the door. I am soaking up every minute of it.
9) A church family. This is actually a new development. We recently found a church home that I am totally in love with. Our Sunday school teacher/class are so wonderful. We’ve enjoyed the time we’ve spent with them, and look forward to getting more and more involved in the coming year.
10) The future. Whatever the future holds for me is in God’s hands. In that I have a confidence about what each new day holds that cannot be shaken. My God is in control. Of everything. He will not let me stumble. Praise the Lord!
Now it’s your turn. What’s something you’re thankful for? Just one thing. Or lots of things, if you enjoy gushing like I do. What kind of list can you get going?